In March 1953 a number of local residents met with a common interest and thought that, as a number of young people were sailing yachts in Altona, these people should be bonded together into a club where proper organization and supervision could be given to both themselves and to yachting in the area.
The policy of family membership participation was quickly established and this is still a feature of the club today.
The club grew slowly during the first six years, mainly through lack of club rooms and boat accommodation, but with the assistance of the Altona City Council permanent premises were obtained in Cresser Reserve.
A club house was commenced in 1959 and the first stage completed in 1961. Since this time membership has grown steadily and with the voluntary help of the members and proper budgeting many additional facilities have been provided.